The Integrated Post Secondary Education Sociey of AlbertaOrganization Type: Education & Schools
Address: Education Tower (EDT) 051 – 054 University of Calgary 2500 University Drive NW Calgary, AB T2N 1N4, Calgary, Alberta T2N 1N4
Contact: Armella Gulley
The Integrated Post Secondary Education Society of Alberta
We are a non-profit organization that aims to provide life enriching opportunities and an unbound vision of the future for individuals with developmental disabilities.
The mission or philosophy of The Integrated Post Secondary Education Society is to:
- Provide an inclusive educational alternative to young adults with developmental disabilities by encouraging and supporting them to participate in a post-secondary experience (Inclusive Post-Secondary Education).
- Provide continuing support to the graduates of the post-secondary education experience in a workplace environment and connecting with the community. (Graduate Support Services).
The objective of Inclusive Post-Secondary Education and the Graduate Support Services is to provide quality educational and workplace opportunities to students, and in so doing, to assist them in developing the skills and relationships necessary to live and work in the community. Inclusion within the university population will offer the normative, age-appropriate setting, which will promote a variety of social interactions and many new skills, while workplace assistance will allow our graduates to maintain and improve on the skills acquired during their time in the university setting. Our philosophy is to encourage men and women who have a developmentally disability to associate with other individuals and to develop lifelong, as well as life-defining, relationships. These relationships are critical to an inclusive future for young adults as they strive to live productive lives in the community. We also believe that people with disabilities should have the same opportunity as others to
- Further their education beyond the secondary level.
- Have meaningful and productive employment.
- Participate and have a valued role in their community.